And all of creation knows.
A Magnolia seed pod......I like to call it the Easter seed.
The book of Job 12: 7-9 says:
But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds in the sky,and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you.
Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?
All of creation knows and I stand amazed. Not one detail of God's creation is a coincidence or an accident but all was created to tell of His majesty.
I envision the resurrection moment -- the moment that new life poured back into the body of Jesus -- the moment He opened His eyes and began to stir and unwrap the death wrap -- and the moment He rose up from the ground where He was placed, walking over to the stone and commanding the angels to move it back so that He could walk out of the grave.....
I envision at that very moment, all land creatures leaping with joy, the birds of the air singing loudly their praise to the Father, the insects scurrying around with overwhelming excitement, the water animals frolicking with jubilation and the plant kingdom surging with new energy....at that very moment their creator conquered darkness and Jesus took death out of the hands of the enemy.
I love searching out the secrets that God has placed in nature - those secrets show us that every detail of nature bows before Him. Here is one of the amazing things that I found while looking at a seed pod that fell in my yard. It sent me to search out some of the secrets it held.
In early fall a fascinating thing happens around the old Magnolia tree in my yard. The most wonderfully created seed pod begin to form and fall from the big old tree. They may look strange but I found an uncanny connection to Jesus - to me it tells of His death, resurrection and character.
It reminds me of Easter so I call it my Easter seed.
* First of all, scientists believe that the flowering structure of this plant and seed pod has not changed in millions of years and it is considered to be one of the oldest plants. Scientists have found a 2000 year old seed in a tomb in Japan and after immersing it in water -- life poured back into it and it grew into a tree and bloomed.
Connection: So they are saying that it is consistent and will remain the same yesterday….today…and forever.
* The seed color is blood red - one of the most vibrant red colors in the plant world
Connection: The red color is like the blood of Jesus
* Each seed is housed in a 'room'. You have to wait for the red seeds to give themselves up and can not be taken by forcing them out.
Connection: Jesus - He gave himself freely – he could not taken by force
* As the petals of the flower fall away the once smooth stamen stem is left with what the botanists call 'scars' which remain on the seedpod
Connection: much like the scarring of Jesus' hands and feet
* The flesh of the red seeds must be pierced or the flesh roughed up in order for the seedling to sprout
Connection: like the flesh of Jesus was roughed up and His side was pierced - it had to happen before we could come into new life
* When the flesh of the seed is pierced the fragrance of the seed is released
Connection: like the pleasing aroma of Jesus is released as He gave of Himself and “For we are to God the pleasing aroma of Christ” 2 Cor. 2:15
* The seeds must go through a 'stratification process' where they are then placed in the refrigerator undisturbed for at least 3 months
Connection: Jesus was placed in the grave for 3 days undisturbed as He took back the keys to death
* When the seeds come out of the refrigerator it triggers a signal that it is time to come alive and grow
Connection: sounds like our risen Savior – alive again!
* The inside of a blossom has a prominent gold stamen resembling the top of a kings staff which will become a seed pod again bringing a new life
Connection: for the King of Kings who became the seed of the salvation plan for our new life
* The blooms of the flower are the brightest of white - coming from a blood red seed
Connection: much like the risen Savior after His death, pure and holy
* The bloom lasts only a short time about three days before it dies away and releases the stamen which becomes the life giving seed pod
Connection: The bloom or Jesus’ ministry only lasted a short time - about three years but was beautiful and produced so much joy to those who saw and experienced it. After it was over - the cruxifiction and resurrection or death process occurred, which leads us into new life
* The bark of the tree is used by homeopathic doctors for anxiety, depression, for sleep and the bloom's fragrance is used for perfumes
Connection: Jesus is the Prince of peace, for our anxiety, fear and sadness - "And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:7
All of Creation tells of God’s majesty and of His perfect plan - not a detail is wasted.
My prayer today is:
Father God, I have no words. All of nature sings praises to your name. All creatures worship at your feet. I know that in Job you said for us to “ask the animals they will teach you….or speak to the earth and it will teach you….”. They know of your goodness. It also says in Psalms (96:12) to “let all the trees of the forest sing for joy.” They know of your care and they know you are their Creator. I will not wait to look for big revelations to hear from You – I will look to the simple things in nature because they hold secrets just waiting to be told – secrets of your wonder and your love for us.
I love you dearly. Amen